Sunday, June 22, 2014

Chameleon

Today has been a crazy day. Woke up early to head off to work, got out at 2. Had a Nerf and talk with my crew, and cleaned up and ate at home for the first time in awhile. All in all good day, looking forward to getting into this week. Fair downtown starting Tuesday, and hopefully I'll be down there quite a bit. stoked!

I was thinking today about Chameleon Living, as I will call it. I think we all find ourselves living like those around us at one time or another. To an extent, this can be a good thing. The phrase "You are who you hang out with" comes to mind. But I think we, especially as Teens, find ourselves imitating those around to the extreme. I know that in my life, I tend to put other people's interests in front of mine so much, that my own are crowded out. We are commanded to put others before ourselves,

Matthew 22:36-40

New International Version (NIV)
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”,

but even this can become unhealthy when you lose who God made you. Never lose sight of what you love to do, and always find time to do it. It will make you more interesting to others, and strengthen your self confidence.

Another thing that goes along with this is, Don't let others opinion of you drive you. Only God's opinion is what matters, and you should always know that he values you. I know that I tend to fall into a trap of trying to constantly win people over to be my friend by apologizing, by thanking profusely,  and by sending nice notes or text messages. Although these things are not inherently bad, your motives are what matter. Don't assume that people hate or are annoyed at you. As a wise person once told me, "Don't borrow trouble." By this I mean, don't assume there is a problem. Don't assume that anyone is annoyed at you, and that you have to constantly regain their favor. I promise 95% of the time, none of what your thinking at that moment is what's on their mind. :)

And as always, I'll end with some comic relief, because laughter is truly the best medicine.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment